Thursday, August 2, 2012

Sample Movie Script


If you aspire to share a story in the industry and see it built into a film, it is essential for you to write your story down with as much details as possible, in order for the professionals’ better understanding and visualization of your story. This written work for the film is called a script.
Two types of scripts are: spec script and shooting script. A spec script is the elemental work and once the film maker approves of this script, the screenwriter then proceeds to write the shooting script. The building blocks of your script should be clear enough to make the reader understand the setting, characters, dialogues, actions taking place and the transitional elements. One also needs to ensure that the descriptions need to be short and crisp. It is advisable for beginners to read as many film scripts as possible to draw the basics out.
Before writing a script it is important for you to know the industry standards and format of writing one. The script acts as the blue print of a film and across the industry there are several layout and formatting guidelines one needs to follow. Ignoring this would make your piece look unprofessional and not garner the kind of reactions you expect to have. To make this task easy, a number of script writing softwares are available online like: DreamaScript, Final Draft, Movie Outline etc.
As an example, here’s a part of Stanley Kubrick’s 2001: A Space Odyssey’s script:
THERE IS NOTHING BUT SILENCE.
C111
POOLE’S FIGURE SHRINKS STEADILY AS IT RECEDES FROM DISCOVERY.
BOWMAN
Hello, Frank… Do you read me, Frank? Wave your arms if you read me but your radio doesn’t work. Hello, Frank, wave your arms, Frank.
C112
POOLE’S BODY TUMBLES AWAY SLOWLY. THERE IS NO MOTION AND NO SOUND.
12/1/65
C113
CENTRIFUGE
C114
CLOSE-UP OF COMPUTER EYE.
C115
POINT-OF-VIEW SHOT FROM COMPUTER EYE WITH SPHERICAL FISH-EYE EFFECT. WE SEE BOWMAN BROODING AT THE TABLE, SLOWLY CHEWING ON A PIECE OF CAKE AND SIPPING HOT COFFEE. HE IS LOOKING AT THE EYE.
C116
FROM THE SAME POINT-OF-VIEW WE SEE BOWMAN RISE.
12/1/65
C116
CONTINUED
AND COME TO THE EYE. HE STARES INTO THE EYE FOR SOME TIME BEFORE SPEAKING.
C117
THE CAMERA COMES AROUND TO BOWMAN’S P.O.V. AND WE SEE THE DISPLAY SHOWING THE EARTH OFF-CENTRE.
C118
CUT AGAIN TO FISH-EYE VIEW FROM THE COMPUTER.
HAL
Too bad about Frank, isn’t it?
BOWMAN
Yes, it is.
HAL
I suppose you’re pretty broken up about it?
PAUSE
12/14/65
C118
CONTINUED
BOWMAN
Yes. I am.
HAL
He was an excellent crew member.
BOWMAN LOOKS UNCERTAINLY AT THE COMPUTER.
HAL
It’s a bad break, but it won’t substantially affect the mission.
BOWMAN THINKS A LONG TIME.
BOWMAN
Hal, give me manual hibernation control.
HAL
Have you decided to revive the rest of the crew, Dave?
PAUSE.
12/14/65
C118
CONTINUED
BOWMAN
Yes, I have.
HAL
I suppose it’s because you’ve been under a lot of stress, but have you forgotten that they’re not supposed to be revived for another three months.
BOWMAN
The antenna has to be replaced.
HAL
Repairing the antenna is a pretty dangerous operation.
BOWMAN
It doesn’t have to be, Hal. It’s more dangerous to be out of touch with Earth. Let me have manual control, please.
HAL
I don’t really agree with you, Dave. My on-board memory store is more than capable of handling all the mission requirements.
12/14/65
C118
CONTINUED
BOWMAN
Well, in any event, give me the manual hibernation control.
HAL
If you’re determined to revive the crew now, I can handle the whole thing myself. There’s no need for you to trouble.
BOWMAN
I’m going to do this myself, Hal. Let me have the control, please.
HAL
Look, Dave you’ve probably got a lot to do. I suggest you leave it to me.
BOWMAN
Hal, switch to manual hibernation control.
HAL
I don’t like to assert myself, Dave, but it would be much better now for you to rest. You’ve been involved in a very stressful situation.
12/14/65
C118
CONTINUED
BOWMAN
I don’t feel like resting. Give me the control, Hal.
HAL
I can tell from the tone of your voice, Dave, that you’re upset. Why don’t you take a stress pill and get some rest.
BOWMAN
Hal, I’m in command of this ship. I order you to release the manual hibernation control.
HAL
I’m sorry, Dave, but in accordance with sub-routine C1532/4, quote, When the crew are dead or incapacitated, the computer must assume control, unquote. I must, therefore, override your authority now since you are not in any condition to intelligently exercise it.
BOWMAN
Hal, unless you follow my instructions, I shall be forced to disconnect you.

0 comments: